SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Funny, one of the first things I noticed around the marinas was the average older age of folks. But don't be fooled by age, baby boommers are about the fittest generation to ever come along. I am 50+ and only got my first boat 4 years ago (except for the 15' catamaran I had in my 20's) and like others my age there were just too many other things taking priority when we were younger. Another factor influencing the later in life purchase is that it is right about this time that we start to inherit our parents wealth to add to our own. Baby boommers hold the largest portion of the nations wealth so they are naturally the ones with the big boys toys. Still many of us are just big kids, we may look older but underneath we are not old, we are as young as we feel and I get on just fine with folks half my age and never exclude them from conversation. It is time, money & committments that put off the cruising life but as long as one stays fit you don't have to be young. I tend to learn from others and find that even the younger sailors have something to learn from especially concerning hi-tech stuff, they seem to have a better understanding of it than older folks. I wish I could have done extensive cruising when I was younger like you but I didn't and I don't regret it, I just had to wait a bit. Who knows what the future holds.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook