SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau Attalia
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Jeanneau Attalia

Mark,

Differences tween salt and fresh are pretty minor. Reality is, things are the same. With that said, yes there are differences. More like products you need to use.

My example above re zincs vs aluminum anodes. If you like hard paint, VC17 from what I understand from locals, is best if being kept in fresh vs VCOffshore is for salt water. Also cold vs warmer water will also affect the brand and style of paint choice as options will be different. Reality is, you still need paint every 2-3 yrs, application etc is the same, just a different type and style. Same with anodes.

You may find down there you have to dive your boat more, as the water is warmer, algae etc grows faster, more of them etc etc.

I would suggest making sure you iron keel has fresh epoxy on it. You may need to grind down to bare iron etc. If done recently, no real blister/rust issues, then you may be fine. If your boat has never had a recent since new eposy coat on the keel, now might be the time! Along with epoxy the fiberglass part too.

Reality, no real difference/issues. Other than you will not have to haul in the winter! Then again, I do not haul in the winter either, not that cold around here.

Marty