SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
So they are lumping the Tall Ship Community into the recreational boating community and drawing a distinction from professional mariners.

However, I'm not entirely clear how they are stereotyping the two camps.
I had a scan through their stuff and I didn't see any reference to the small boat recreational community.

What I did see a lot of and it's an area that we haven't discussed because it doesn't really concern us, is the commercial shipping industry thinks the tall ships are evading government regulations and government safety inspections because they call unpaid volunteers, or unpaid people who pay for the privilege to be crew. The shipping industry thinks unpaid, or people paying to be crew are passengers. If they are passengers then its a commercial passenger ship and subject to much more stringent safety inspections.

They have a good point. However, we haven't been discussing that as we have more been into the what's right or wrong to do in certain types of weather etc.

Another thing that's popped up in the professional forum is the thought that tall ship regular crews are a particular type of seaman (sea person)... Long hair tied in pony tail, canvas trousers and bare feet, perhaps bordering on political and environmental views that differ from many other people.
That is a bit of a call.... But kinda correct too, from observation.
One could not expect some tall ship type crew getting a job on a container ship, not that they would want it.
That feeling seems to be coupled with thoughts that some tall ships captains have a stronger 'cult' type personality that projects above the necessity to have maintained bilge pumps etc.

So yes, it's interesting to read the gCaptain forum. They are all quite good posts, well, mostly just subjects that don't really,concern our take on the Bounty sinking.

There is one point of close similarity... They are putting a fair bit of the responsibility on the Captain. As recreational forums have done too.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 11-17-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook