SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

I was crew aboard a Tallship for 4 years, I ran around barefooted, wearing canvas pants cut off at the knee, climbed the rig in a blow with out a harness, and a knife in my teeth to deal with hung lines, sang sea shanty's as we actually walked around a capstain. I was paid all though not well. Actually I paid for the first 9 months as a student and was subsequently hired. Now I work on a commercial ocean tug, I must wear steel toe boot's a hard hat and work vest, Long pants and a blue collar shirt with an american flag patch on the sleeve. I must continue training and up grading my credentials and I am under a lot of scrutiny by my employer and the Coast Guard to work safe, paricipate in drill's and stay sober etc. In my free time I saill off shore in my 28 foot sloop or deliver other peoples, from the Key's to Honduras, Columbia, Where ever. The Captains I worked under on the Tall ship were incredably competant, they had just come from Antarctica when I joined.The Captains I work with now can handle a boat and make responsable decisions. My point is I have a pretty good insight to both culture's and some how fall inbetween. Captains are the first to call another captain a ding-aling when they make a poor decision, they should know.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 11-17-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook