SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing Chainplates on a Sabre 34
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Replacing Chainplates on a Sabre 34

I'm doing the checks & balances. I don't want to get caught in that trap.

The problem is this, let's say I plan on spending $30K for the boat after all is said and done. If I have to wait until I have $30K on hand, that day may never come. Living on a fixed income means you never get a raise while the price of everything goes up. That's a very real scenario.

But buying anything now will not mean buying something in such bad shape I can't sail for years or that it's going to break me. I won't do that. I have my experience in construction to draw on and that should at least give me enough background to know a disaster when I see it.

Right now I'm pricing out everything I can to see what the materials would add up to for that particular boat to be sailable and be to our liking. I've already started a spreadsheet. Then I'm throwing in labor I can't do and another 10%-20% on top of that. If I arrive outside what comparable S34s are going for, it's time to move on.

Maybe I'll apply for employment at Sabre, learn the skills and use them to help make owning a less painful reality.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook