SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vendee Globe

Well, Javier had successively managed to retrieve the main halyard. Scary stuff, at least for me

“I had to go to find some sheltered water in Tenerife to be able to go up the mast without too many waves. The problem was that once situated behind Tenerife there was absolutely no wind at all and a real swell. So after two frustrating hours waiting and trying to get closer in to land, I made an attempt to go up the mast with quite a large swell, the boat almost drifting and without any kind of steering.”

“Each time I went up a metre I was like a sack of potatoes swaying from one side to the other. When I got to the top, 30 metres above the boat, I have to admit that there was a really beautiful view and I found a way of not being shoved all over the place; a good thing since I was really at a limit with the strength I had left. I managed to fix the line to the track that was there happily waiting for me at the top of the mast.”

and then

“At 2000hrs the boat was tip-top to get back into the race again 100%,” he said. “The problem was that my sheltered spot in Tenerife had me trapped until 0400hrs in the morning when I was finally able to move out towards the south and then gybe west.”

At the head of the race it is like I said a drag race but contrary to what I thought it is Armel that is coming with flying colors and Stamm has even manage to overtake François while Vincent and Jean-Pierre are closing in. Interesting stuff

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking

8e jour de course - Samedi 17 novembre por VendeeGlobeTV
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook