SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lesson from newbies-how not to install a roller furler
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Lesson from newbies-how not to install a roller furler

So where in the heck was know-it-all Dave???
Your boat will take on your personality the more you bleed on it. Good for FoggyBottom for starting the process!
Good for both of you nuts for restoring a Pearson 26' though. I like to think of the Pearson 26' as a not too distant cousin of my old Tartan 27'.

Even if your Alado furler has all ball bearing fittings I find it hard to believe that there is no lubrication required, even on a yearly basis. Please check the manual again.

Another furler conundrum (pun intended): make sure that the line in the furler drum is wrapped in the correct direction. If your jib has a UV layer along the roach the UV protection needs to be wrapped on the outside of the sail. The UV protection does little good if it is wrapped on the inside - don't ask me how I know this.

The UV protection on our new jib (9 years ago) was white, just like the rest of the sail so we never realized that it was being wrapped up backwards - hence, no UV protection.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook