SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF Radio in the cockpit
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Radio in the cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
I just ordered a Standard Horizon gx1700. It has a GPS built into it, and can accept a remote mic (RAM3). Once I get it installed, I'll make the decision about getting the RAM3 mic for the cockpit. However, such a mic should have two advantages: it will essentially give me a 25W VHF in the cockpit; and it will also give me a new "handheld" GPS receiver, that basically has unlimited battery power and is always tethered to the boat (don't ask). Of course, this particular radio also has the advantage that the GPS is already wired into it, so it's automatically integrated with the DSC.
I really like the integrated GPS. And of course that makes sense. Now that GPS's are in every single phone they are a cheap commodity. For $200 that's the thing to get. Too bad I bought the $120 west marine radio two years ago...

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. A narrow channel with cross wind or current, a congested area with a bunch of Saturday afternoon six-packers "buzzing" around, following seas where controlling the boat is a full time job. The last thing I want to do is leave the cockpit. Dan S/V Marian Claire
I agree with this. I hate leaving the cockpit when I don't have too. I usually have crew but often they have 0 experience which is actually worse than single handing. Especially when you're trying to show them a good time. So having as many things accessible in the cockpit is ideal and leads to less stressful sailing. My boat is small enough that I have an ok situation with the radio mounted just inside the companionway with a spot for the mic to wrap around into the cockpit. Although reaching the mic while holding the tiller is still a stretch.