SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lesson from newbies-how not to install a roller furler
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Lesson from newbies-how not to install a roller furler

Even if you had removed the cotter pins, you may have still had a problem. Whenever you turn the turnbuckle, you should also use a wrench to prevent the backstay from rotating. Based on your description, it sounds like you were not doing this. If you were, you would have noticed right away that the cotter pins were preventing proper rotation of the turnbuckle.

There should be a flat spot above the threads to engage the wrench. Often this is stamped with a number, which I believe is the size wrench (in mm) that you need. With an elevated turnbuckle placing the wrench can be very awkward, because you need to reach even higher above the turnbuckle. I use a step stool on the cockpit sole to get up high enough, and it's still awkward.

You also need to use a wrench for shrouds as well, but those turnbuckles are much easier to reach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 11-18-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook