SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Combine the romance of crewing a ship that crossed oceans hundreds of years ago with the realization that they had to tackle severe weather and the thought of adventure can probably overcome the logic of risk management. Compound that with what appears to be a loophole in how these ships and their crew are regulated and that may have been the real perfect storm around Sandy.
Yes, I agree. There are holes in what regarding the crew needed to sail a tall ship and their qualifications (I don't mean the Captain but the number of sailors needed and their qualifications). There are holes in what regards the classification of this ships, holes that make possible some ships, including Bounty, to escape any serious qualified safety inspection and I do not mean to the safety items aboard but to the ship itself.

I guess that after this accident and the recommendations that will be given on the CG investigation, things are going to change in what regards the way these ships are regulated.

This is the second accident in a short time (Concordia) and that is not acceptable.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook