SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Keels - Vendee Globe

I guess that these problems with the keels could be avoided in a great extent and the skippers of these boats share responsibility for not having more safer systems.

I have read recently that most of the NA that design these boats agree that it was better in what regards safety all boats sharing the same keel canting design. That way not only cost would come down as the information received from so many boats with lead to a rapid improvement in the system reliability.

I don't know if it is the sailors looking for an advantage, or the sponsors that lead to a non acceptance of this suggestion but the fact is that they are not taking a great advantage on this: Safran, the one that lost the keel had the most advanced one, made all of titanium and that did not prevent him to be one of the first to lose it.

I guess that in this case the organization (and IMOCA), with the support of boat designers, should take measures to implement that, at least till a greater degree of reliability is achieved in the system design.

Regarding the race, has Jean says: It is war time

I haven't slept much last night, I spent a lot of time at the helm with my spinnaker up and I'm sure Mike (editor's note: Golding) did the same. It's war time!!! I've just finished a sails change, I haven't had a minute of break. I've taken my t-shirt off, I'm so sweaty.

Look at them:

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking

The first 6 are really close with Armel still leading but losing distance to François that now is second again. The rhythm is just mad and it is a good thing they are coming to the doldrums were it will be less physical and much more a chess play, one of the big ones. Let's see how they play

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook