SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Further, they could restrict the severity of condition that they undertake a passage, but again, defining it will be difficult.
The ridiculous thing about this incident is even Captain Bligh would not have taken his ship near a hurricane if they knew one was there.

Your complacency post was a good one. Lets forget about tall ships and see how it relates to cruising sailors. Perhaps we need to consciously think about easy voyage as if it was our first one. Do those checks slowly and methodically.

In the Bahamas this year before the hurricane season started you may remember the weather was bad with a string of preseason storms.
I could not believe how many boats left Marsh Harbour to go to the USA in such bad weather! Talk about uncomfortable! not really dangerous, but uncomfortable!

I counseled a friend not to go... But he was "forced" to by crew. His voyage of three days was so bad he put his boat up for sale at the other end!!!
Oh and before the old timers start their slagging, it was one of those old fashioned full keel jobs, not a production boat.

My rules try to help avoid complacency... Never go when weather is deterieriating, never go on a MIXED SKY... Look up you cloud book but it means when you look up if there is sh!tty clouds are all different levels then stay put. Sounds damn easy!

Yes there's lots for us to learn from the Bounty. Complacency is a good one.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook