SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF Radio in the cockpit
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: VHF Radio in the cockpit

I guess that a station at hand from the one that is handling the boat makes all the sense if he sails solo or have not a crew that can operate the radio when needed. I can see some occasions where that would be almost indispensable, or at least very useful, like when you have all the hands controlling the boat and don't fell safe to leave cockpit with the boat on autopilot and go behind to talk at the radio...and that sometimes take time. Sure, you can put down the sails, or have a reef, but that is a lot of trouble.

Regarding the occasions, I give you a recent example: Sailing at night with wind and going fast with a big ship that I was seeing constantly on the same bearing regarding my boat and as all know, probably on a Collision course. I have asked my wife to call the ship and ask them if they were seeing us. It took some minutes, they replied yes they were seeing us...and changed course

I want to point out another system that can be used as a communication device replacing an outside conventional station: the modern no wires remote controls for autopilot have a function that (if the radio is a modern one from the same brand) permits to use it as a remote control station, I mean to hear and to speak, and has the thing is very small and normally is around your neck, it will not by an obstacle for nobody.

My boat come with one but I have to say that with so many new things and gadgets to learn how to use properly I have not yet used it (just tried it) but I guess that with time to get used to it, it will be a nice and useful equipment.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook