SailNet Community - View Single Post - 45' + blue water cruiser
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: 45' + blue water cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Having said that, if I were in your shoes I would widen my search substantially. I would not buy a new boat since you are unlikely to know exactly what to ask for. Rather I would look for a boat about five years old that has been set up by a knowledgeable (and rich) owner. I would look first at higher makes like Amel and Halberg-Rassy. With five years' depreciation I suspect the price might be similar to a new Catalina and these boats are certainly better in my opinion.

Unfortunately, those 5 year old HR or Swan are hard to come by. When they are on the market, they are not cheap and go really fast. Their asking prices were the same as they paid when they bought it if not more. The 35 to 40% depreciation rate only apply to mass production boats in Charter.

Those rich owners are hardly stupid at all. This is because the new boat price keeps increasing. I knew this very well since I kept looking for a HR for 2 years by checking on the new listing on YW every week and speaking to a broker who is specialized selling HR. Of course there are fire-sale cases, but this is just a luck of the draw in the right place at the right time.

Let's say that you were willing to pay the asking price for a HR, 5 years from now, you need to staring thinking to replace system on the boat. that is another expense that you need to include into the original equation.

This boils down to there is no easy "formula" to buy a boat. This is just like woman or women in our live. The passion toward a particular boat must exist that makes you happy. If it turn out to be a hunter, beneteau, or Catalina, so be it.

Quote:
Interestingly in my research many monohull owners with boats in the 45 to 50' range say they would like to have a good catamaran around 45' if money were not an object. This is interesting considering that these are people with 10k to 100k miles of cruising experience.
This is an interesting observation. I am certainly will keep this in perspective when I am crossing the bridge.

I wish I listened to my father when I was young. Every minute I had, I preached to my children not to make the same mistakes like your grand father and father. In the end they have to make their mistake. As long as the mistake is not fatal, what difference does it makes.

As for Mono-haul and Multi-haul, it is a growing and learning process. Like our women, before I like blonde, I have to experience brunette first or vice versa. May be before I die, I end up with a red head. But I certainly will not take a red head and be done.

I am just say'in.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook