SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
T...

In the Bahamas this year before the hurricane season started you may remember the weather was bad with a string of preseason storms.
I could not believe how many boats left Marsh Harbour to go to the USA in such bad weather! Talk about uncomfortable! not really dangerous, but uncomfortable!

I counseled a friend not to go... But he was "forced" to by crew. His voyage of three days was so bad he put his boat up for sale at the other end!!!
Oh and before the old timers start their slagging, it was one of those old fashioned full keel jobs, not a production boat.

Yes there's lots for us to learn from the Bounty. Complacency is a good one.

Mark

Yes, not to mention that the weather reports are not always true and conditions can be worst. For two times I had made the mistake of trusting weather reports with uncomfortable results. I don't mean that I had the boat or the crew at risk but if I could or know that I was going to sail on those conditions I would no sailed away. One time out of North Africa with a downwind f7, that would just give me a good ride home, that turned in a f9/10 and the other one with a possible downwind f8 that turned in as a real f9.

On the last one (this year) I sailed out because on the last days the WR was giving the possibility of f6 and f7 and I never got more than f4, so I guessed they were always exaggerating

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-18-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook