SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Complete Overboard Bag - Rate It
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: The Complete Overboard Bag - Rate It

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Have there been any long term life raft survivors since EPIRBs?

Steve Callahan and that mob in the 1970s and 1980s, but has anyone needed to survive more than 3 or 4 days since the widespread use of EPIRBs and Sattelite phones??

Tony Bullimore had to for 3 days in the southern ocean.

Can we save on all that ditch bag crap with EPIRBs and Sat phones? Consider that bag costs THOUSANDS! The hand held water maker is us$1,250!!!! That's more than a sat phone.

Mark
Ps I am also replacing the reading material for dirty magazines
A good question to be sure, but I would like to point out that Steve Calahan DID have an EPIRB that was was recently serviced, but failed to function.

Similar to the GPS v Sextant debate technology has changed the tactics for some. In the Vendee Globe race for example (where a bunch of single-handed lunatics race from France, then circumnavigate Antarctica on 50ft boats) none carry extensive life-raft supplies. Instead they carry several Epirbs. If I recall the race regulations REQUIRED three, but many carried 4 or 5. They are definitely counting on technology and a swift rescue, and they're sailing in many areas where there isn't even any shipping.

As much as I LOVE reading man v wild or man v sea survival stories, I do think that with the price of EPIRBS and PLBs being so cheap, it would be smart to have several. Nobody wants to think of the possibility of a serious injury during or prior to abandonment, but the statistics show a high rate of injury for life raft occupants. It might be that your time and ability to affect your own survival are limited by your injuries and all you can do is activate your one-handed PLBs every 48hrs....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook