SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Complete Overboard Bag - Rate It
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: The Complete Overboard Bag - Rate It

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
A good question to be sure, but I would like to point out that Steve Calahan DID have an EPIRB that was was recently serviced, but failed to function.

MedSailor
Hmmmm. I had to do a bit of checking on that! I thought his voyage was before EPIRBs. You're half right...

Quote:
. No rescue was initiated from Callahan's use of an EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) and many flares. EPIRBs were not monitored by satellites at the time, and he was in too empty a part of the ocean to be heard by aircraft

So it should be better these days.

Agree with your point on more than one EPIRB. Two would be good, plus the sat phone to ask the Coast Guard what's the delay and can they drop pizza!

Also PLBs are now around $250 with GPS so the second one could be a PLB it's only the battery that's different only lasting for 24 hours instead of 48 hours. Could buy 4 for the price of a hand held water maker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook