SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Polar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
PCP,

She is very beautiful and I'm sure a pleasure to sail across oceans, even for couple. No question you can get 200 plus miles a day out of her. Can you or anyone tell us why so many modern cruising boats today do no use dorades for ventilation?
Is it a question of form over function? Ventilating a boat be it in the high lats, tropical, even at the dock while the boat is locked up is so important. I noticed also that there are no drip ledges around the salon cabin windows. I don't know a boat that the windows and hatches do not sweat no matter how well the boat is insulated. To me that means lots of dripping all over the seats and nav station. Not putting such an incredible design down but I noticed that the hand holds below and in the companionway appear to be nil. Coming down a companionway I like the feeling in ruff seas of not only having good hand holds but interior walls close so that your upper body can brace against them when moving up or down the latter. Also that table has got to go.

But a great example of where the upper end of cruising boats are going, especially in Europe.

Cheers.
I guess that I am a bit responsible for you not finding grab holds. I have said that the pictures of the interior were bad and should have posted better pictures. I find the grab holds adequate. The table is also only ugly when open. You can see the grab holds on these photos:

Regarding this boat and yours, being both great boats the optic is completely different. If we were talking about cars we would be talking about a Toyota land cruiser and a Porshe Panamera.

In what concerns drip ledges I don't see them on maxi yachts either. I assume that they consider that on this type of luxury boats the AC will be a constant, so no dripping.

Regarding dorades, these are fast boats and with speed I imagine that a lot of water will pass over the boat and if the dorades were there, into the dorades. I have no doubt the boat is ventilated but not by a non mechanic system like a dorade but by mechanic ones that will probably be more efficient even if at the cost of some energy. This boat has the new Ion lithium mastervolt batteries, a big alternator and they are so confident on the boat energy electric potential that they even propose it with a ceramic electric stove

Mastervolt launches new 12-volt Lithium-Ion battery | Mastervolt

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-18-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook