SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012

kotyara is on a distinguished road
re: First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?

Well, after a long search, it looks like I found my boat, and it's none of the above. It's a Cal 29. A little bigger than the others, but should still be manageable. By all accounts she should be stiff and well balanced, and a little faster.

It comes with an 8 year old 22HP Beta diesel and is fully setup for single-handing. The owner actually raced her single-handed all last season. 2 year old standing rigging, which is good, but a 2 year old bottom that would probably need a refresh. The sails seem a bit old, but I'm no expert and she seemed to do well to windward on the test sail... survey will tell.

The only iffy part was quite a lot of play in the rudder. It could be just the bolts holding the tiller, but then again could be something else. Could this be a serious issue?

Mast support beam, which apparently is a problem spot on these boats, is the original steel, so it's probably rusted to some degree. The was no noticeable sagging and the owner said the new rigging didn't need to be tightened in the two years since the installation. Again, survey will tell.

Another thing is that the deck is covered by those rubber non-skid panels that look like they're inset into the deck. Is there anything I need to know about those? They seemed to be in good shape...

Other than that, she could use a repaint on the deck and inside the cabin, refinish on the few teak pieces on deck, maybe some minor cleanup in the cabin, but I'm not planning on cruising so that's not really an issue.

I guess that electric project will have to wait a few years

Ok, off to arrange the survey now. Wish me luck

Cheers,
Alex.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook