SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Well, if the boat licence specified that the boat should not sail over f7 or go out of port with a prevision of winds over f7, the boat would be still afloat-PCP.
This is not necessarily true and I await the full investigative report. We still do not know what sunk the ship. There have been unverified rumors about leaking planks, failed genrators and engines, pumps which failed. All this could have happened in a gale also.

This enough would not prevent a similar fate IMHO and there needs to be a deeper or more thorough means of inspection, vertification and verification of the vessels maintainence amnd structural integrity just as an airplane undergoes before it flies at all. I agree with Minnie in his ststement about the need for certification of the Tall ships/ Tourist ships. I beleive the full inspection will point out and recommend changes to the current method or certification ( or not) of these vessels.

In addition you also have contributed in the assertion indirectly that there needs to be assurance of a more "professional" overall crew other than the Captain aboard the ship. While I dont necessarily agree with the "cult" analolgy, especially the Jim Jones comparison you jumped to, I do think that you pointed to a potential flaw in the staffing of these vessels which convey tourists. Again IMHO there needs to be more than one lisneced ( Captain) individual on board. The running of these ships requires a certain degree of specialization. Even though I have sailed for 4 years, I would have no real clue how to sail a ship like this, her capabiliteis, as well as her critical deficiencies and danger points.

I will continue to point out so no one misconstrues my opinoin, none of this exonnerates or minimizes the Captains decision and leaving the dock in the direction of an impending storm.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook