SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar 2gm black smoke
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2gm black smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnskolfield View Post
Fuel filters are new as of 20 hours ago and i've checked them, prop was a little rough but I dove over and clean it up nice, can you tell I'm in Florida?, The boat has a 5 gallon portable tank, I emptied it and put clean fuel in 20 engine hours ago so it should be good, Don't know about the decompressions levers but that sounds like great thing to check. I'll research where they are.
Thanks for the suggestions! John
How did the fuel look that you poured out of your portable tank? Are you familiar with diesel bugs? If not, Google it. Just because you dumped new fuel in doesn't mean there isn't a whole bunch of crud inside your tank that easily could have broken free when your tank tipped over. The time (20 hours) is absolutely irrelevant. In rough conditions with bad fuel it's not unheard to have to change filters in less than an hour of run time. What type of primary fuel filter are you using? Did you check the secondary filter on the engine too?

Could you elaborate on what hard starting means? Have you tried to push up the throttle when cranking to see if it starts easier? Have you ever tried to manually pump the lift pump before cranking the engine?

And what about revving up the engine in neutral? Will it do it without black smoke or is smoke only when in gear?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook