SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bvi - usvi- svi
Thread: Bvi - usvi- svi
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012

Bermudahigh is on a distinguished road
Re: Bvi - usvi- svi

You've gotten a bunch of good info. Suggest you take some time and learn St John, its worth it. Try to adopt the 'island time' and take your watch off.
For years we chartered out of St Thomas, then moved to Tortola, then on our own boat. We live on our mooring in St John. Clearing St John is ez, just dont follow a ferry or large passenger boat clearing. There are at least 6-10 eating places from high end to not to high on the beach or within 5 minutes walk.
Uncle Joe's and Candy's do the best grilled ribs/chicken in Cruz bay, price point $12-15 per order. Candy (used to work for Unc Joe) is a walk up the hill just past the laundry.
Both, along with Hercules for Pate's, Johnnie cakes and other local favorites, are among the best local places in Cruz Bay. Beach bar is a local fav. lunch specials usually $13-15.
These are all very casual. Stepping up in price is High Tide, just to the right of the ferry terminal, with a more expansive menu. There are a few more along the beach located in between High Tide and the Beach bar. Spyglass is on the next level, great view, a little more pricey. They were offering specials to get folks to climb the steps. A few new places are in the process of opening, across the street from the Beach bar. There's Fish trap, Lime Inn, Rhumb Line, Asolare, ZoZo's, Fatty Crab, Morgans Mango and at least 3 more in Mongoose Junction, St John's version of a tastefull shopping center, all walking distance from Cruz bay's dinghy/ferry dock.
Provisions, laundry are readily available and walking friendly from Cruz bay. Fuel and water are right across from customs. You can anchor for a limit of 3 hours on the left side of the creek, out of the channel, while clearing, or making a provision, laundry run.
The moorings in Cruz bay are private. Closest public moorings are to the left of Cruz bay. With public moorings, if you're a senior, you'll get a discount. (may have to ck in at Park rangers in the same creek as customs, fuel, water, etc). Also a dinghy dock there.
There's a bunch of anchorages that offer privacy, beaches, snorkel and part or all of the above. It depends on your needs. Some of my favorite places are Lameshur, Little Lameshure, Salt Pond, all located with 2 miles of each other, all offering something different. If your a diver, Booby (named for the birds, not the boobs) rock offers a shot at some lobsters. Snorkel sites exist in all of the places. There's no anchoring in the Lameshurs or Salt Pond. When in Salt Pond, hike to Drunk Bay or Ram head, or both. Sunrise at Drunk bay is outstanding. Also, while at Salt Pond have dinner at Concordia, owned by the same operator as Maho Camp. You can call them and request the pick you up at the parking lot above Salt Pond. I would then work my way around Ram Head and explore Coral Bay. Take care while heading to Coral Bay, as Eagle shoal is a caution area. Not marked other than a few mooring balls as its a dive site. Anchoring is permitted in Coral Bay. Leaving Coral Bay, head to Hurricane Hole, Round Bay, then off to Newfound Bay. Careful entering as there are no markers and you have to navigate between 2 reefs. Then Leinster Bay/Waterlemon Cay and just around the corner, Mary's point, across from Whistling Cay, continuing in to Frances Bay/Maho. Moorings available. As you leave Maho, be aware of Johnson's reef, look it up and stay away. You can hug the beach and can work your
way past Cinnamon, Trunk, Hawksnest, Caneel, and Honeymoon.
I'm sure I've left a bunch out.
SHout if I can help.
Njoy.

Last edited by Bermudahigh; 11-18-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook