SailNet Community - View Single Post - Australian insurance costs
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Australian insurance costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hana2012 View Post
Hi everyone. Look, honestly, I understand that in order to get a quote on a boat the company insuring it wants a survery to know exactly what they're getting into. But it does make learning what's involved in owning a boat really darn difficult. How to plan? Buy a boat and then find it costs $100,000 a year to insure?? (ok, yes that is dramatic and ridiculous...but I'm just a bit peeved).

So are there some Aussies here who might help me get some idea?

A 40 ft boat, 20-25 years old (the boat, not me...I wish - I'm in my 40's). Good condition, fibreglass hull, diesel engine. Liveaboard and occasional future cruising. Moored at a river marina pontoon mostly and sometimes just a mooring. Relatively inexperienced captain, sailing 1-2 yrs ...but will have done a number of courses to increase skill in being crew, maintainence and coastal skippering.

Am I looking at $100 a month, $500 a month?
From memory you should be looking at around $750.00-$1000.00 for under $100,000.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook