SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Ok. Perhaps the law is different in the US (but I didn't think so).. The idea you suggest be implemented is called "Survey" over here and any vessel capable of carrying paying passengers must be "in survey" to legally do so.

"Survey" means that the vessel must meet a whole host of safety criteria, have regular evac drills, safety inspections, etc. etc. It is a very expensive process, but has been a part of commercial shipping for as long as I can remember.

HMS Bounty is not someone's private yacht.. and given she could carry paying passengers, I'd be surprised to hear that the mandatory inspections, etc. you mention were not already being carried out.
No, I don't think the boat was inspected except in what regards having the legal safety equipment. I am refereeing to a structural inspection to the hull, rig and masts, I mean a serious one to the ship. That is one of the legal holes that was discussed at length on the gCaptain forum. We will know for sure after the investigation.

Quoting :

C.Captain
(Ship captain?)

Just to get something clear here. BOUNTY was not a "Sail Training Vessel" which are inspected under 46CFR subchapter R and have a minimum safe manning determination. BOUNTY was an 46CFR subchapter C uninspected passenger vessel which is worse as far as any oversight goes regarding safety of construction and equipment.

The Bounty fiasco and an undeserved black eye

quote:

Uninspected Passenger Vessels (UPVs) more than 100 gross tons carrying 12 or fewer passengers;....

Uninspected Passenger Vessel (more than 100 GT)

Uninspected Passenger Vessels (UPVs) more than 100 GT are also regulated in 46 CFR Subchapter C and are allowed to carry 12 or fewer passengers, at least one of whom is for hire. The U.S. Coast Guard does not formally inspect these vessels, although they may be boarded for examinations. Large charter yachts, also known as mega-yachts, are the best known representatives of this class of vessels.

Comm Rerport Summary

The boat was also classified as a dock attraction and on that quality was mandatory inspected, for that purpose, or at least it was what I understood.

Way back on this thread someone from the bounty showed the inspection paper with inspections from the CG. I asked if those inspections were related with the status of the boat as a dock attraction and I am still waiting for a reply, so I guess they were.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-18-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook