SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
No, I don't think the boat was inspected except in what regards having the legal safety equipment. I am refereeing to a structural inspection to the hull, rig and masts, I mean a serious one to the ship.
So am I. What a mess..

So, HMS Bounty never carried more than 12 paying passengers? A ship that large?? and it's obviously a little more than a "dockside attraction" so I'd have thought it would fit a the "sail training" category myself..

FWIW, under the Survey system, "Restricted Survey" is also possible, being the usual stuff with a bunch of conditions attached, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Uninspected Passenger Vessels (UPVs) more than 100 gross tons carrying 12 or fewer passengers;....

Uninspected Passenger Vessel (more than 100 GT)

Uninspected Passenger Vessels (UPVs) more than 100 GT are also regulated in 46 CFR Subchapter C and are allowed to carry 12 or fewer passengers, at least one of whom is for hire. The U.S. Coast Guard does not formally inspect these vessels, although they may be boarded for examinations. Large charter yachts, also known as mega-yachts, are the best known representatives of this class of vessels.
That is indeed a bit of a weak point. It sounds like they're saying a charter vessel doesn't really have to be any different, or follow any different safety proceduresm to any other yacht so long as they don't carry more than 12 passengers?

My parents used to own a charter yacht (carrying 12 or fewer passengers) and that most certainly got inspected once a year out of the water... with all the various hoops and hurdles required to be jumped through as a result.

Last edited by Classic30; 11-18-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook