SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shower Pan
Thread: Shower Pan
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012

jarod is on a distinguished road
Shower Pan

Hello,

My winter project is re-doing the head on my 35 foot motorsailer. This will be a wet head and I am now faced with what to do about the shower pan. The sole in the head is currently fiberglass with a new shower drain installed. I am considering using West System to bed down some tile (small mosaic type which will curve with the hull). I would the tile down with West thickened with colloidal silica then use an epoxy grout. The other option would be just to paint it with a non skid paint and call it done. The paint would have to have a heavy texture as the pan or sole is currently not super smooth. I don't want to spend an eternity fairing it but I also don't want it to look awful so I thought a thick non skid paint would help to camouflage many imperfections in the floor surface. Please give me your thoughts on the options and what you would do in my position. The tile will look better I think and this will please my wife so I am leaning this route for her. The non skid paint appeals to my practical nature. I am somewhat concerned with how the epoxy will hold the tile over the long term.

Thanks Jarod
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook