SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too Much, Too Soon?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012
Gin Swilling Yacht Monkey

groggy is on a distinguished road
Re: Too Much, Too Soon?

man, i dunno, the fast track option seems like a paper chase vs getting a good sailing education.

the sailing classes i took generally were about 4 days each. to get from keel boat to bareboat was 13 days of training with a required amount of sea time in between. honestly i would probably have preferred to have taken it all in one week, but truthfully, getting the time on the water in and, more importantly, out of class, was a huge part of the learning process.

sailing in between the classes was the real test of what was being taught. sailing with no instructor and no eager fellow students, is a different experience than being in class.

lastly, taking the classes on one big boat robs you of the experience of sailing different boats. it's pretty instructive to sail a 24' keelboat with a tiller, then a 32' cruising boat with a wheel, then a larger 41' boat. COB, docking, and close quarter maneuvering are nice to learn in increments.

overall its your time and money. some people with a good sailing background just need a little formal quantification and a fast track, and others with less experience may benefit from taking a slower more comprehensive route. one should ask themselves if they are ready to take the boat they learned on out for a charter with their own crew. if so, then the course was good. if not, well, the track may have been too fast.

i'm rambling, but the takeaway here is that there is some value to getting sea time, learning on different sized boats, and classes that are not taught in a hurry.

Last edited by groggy; 11-19-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook