SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Haven't met a pilot born in the sky yet. I don't think this is a serious disqualifier. I understand the frustration with bureaucracy. I'm willing to wager a round at Sloppy Joes that the FAA is more bureaucratic, almost all of which have never flown an aircraft at all. Still, there are some very capable USCG officers.

I think she did. I know the Captain himself is on tape saying so, as well as one of the rescued crew members. I believe it was the first mate.
There are sailors borne to the Sea. Son of gun's. son's of son's of son's. People borne in community's that live and die by the sea. It gives a sailor a predisposition for being a Seaman, and it is a qualifier. Reading a brochure in your high school lobby about joining the coast gaurd and getting out of Indiana, set's a student on a learning curve all ready ingrained in a Glouscterman's DNA. In a few hundred year's we may have son's of the sky as flight becomes more and more advanced, but today, we have the sea as our heritage...lineage. I work close to, live close to and have relitives in the coast guard, I work for ex-coasties, I witness time and time again their inept, and at times silly take on Seamanship. The helicopter squad's and swimmer are great, hat's off to them. Their office squad can suck it.