SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Had you been a signed up member of the crew, with your present state of experience and knowledge....would you have stepped foot on the Bounty and left the dock with Captain Walbridge that evening? If not what would you have done? Would you step off and walk away quietly? Would you confront the Captain and tell him your misgivings and not sail, would you tell the others they should not go? Would you call the home office and tell of thier misgivings? Would you call the CG and let them know the Captain likes to chase Hurricanes and was hell bent on chasing Sandy?

What would you really DO?

Dave
That's a good question... But it doesn't work as a question because the people going with him have neither the life experience or sailing experience of me... That's not saying I'm anything great, but I am a solo sailor who has been solo in all my endeavors thru life, never married etc. I don't really do well in a company or team type group. I hate and can identify peer preasure, where others don't mind it, nor realize when they are being persuaded by the "if the team sticks together" crap.

So I have no doubt I would be straight off the boat and everyone would know its my decision based on lack of faith in a captain taking the vessel to sea in those conditions(note that's different to me saying I don't like the weather).

I would not tell the captain in front of the crew my lack of faith in him, I would say in front of the crew I think it's a weather problem and advise people to get off.

I would not call the Coast Guard but I would call the owners.
If I had a friend on board who I thought was under the influence of peer group, or cult group, I would call a lawyer to speak to the owners.

Finally I might call the local news.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook