SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vendee Globe

And there they are, at the doldrums (It is derived from dold, an archaic term meaning "stupid", and -rum(s), a noun suffix found in such words as "tantrum")-WikiPed.

So they are on that stupid place were the wind does not blow. The French call it"le Pot au Noir" literally a pot with a black content. It was used by old sailors to describe a black and dangerous situation. If this pass is difficult to boats that need 3K wind to move, imagine that on ships that needed at least 10k to move

"The top six boats have entered the Doldrums and from making over 15 knots 24 hours ago, the leader, Armel Le Cléac’h (Banque Populaire), was down to 1.8 knots in the hour before the 1600hrs (French time) ranking. ...

The Intertropical Convergence Zone, known better as The Doldrums or le Pot au noir, as the French say, will be the first test of the skippers routing skills. The compression in the fleet has been immediate with from Francois Gabart (Macif), closing to 26.8 miles and Thomson in sixth winning back 50 miles in sixth, 62.4 miles behind. But it is the time that it will take to get south-west rather than miles that count now. The first through to the trade winds on the other size will pull away quickly.

The Doldrums are a lottery with conditions changing by the hour as the skippers try and jump from cloud to cloud. But the thunderstorms, that are to be avoided at all costs and can appear as quickly as they disappear, greeted Le Cléac’h as he arrived in the zone this morning.

The Doldrums had looked less active the day before but that could be the nightmare scenario as it might mean the leaders face the beginning of a cycle. But it remains guesswork for meteorologists and the boats could emerge on Tuesday morning."

They all closed on Armel and Alex joined the front pack. Alex is in 6th place and at only 62Nm from the leader. Great race out there

I have looked to the meteo information for the next days here on the top left:

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking

and it seems to me they are in deep s..t

If I was there I would not know what was the best course. I guess I just would have tried to sail south. These guys are brighter and I hope they come with different and more creative options. Let's see. It is in situations like this that they can win a lot of miles, I mean if they are not following the same options.

Well for now they are all following the same path I hope some changes soon.

Last edited by PCP; 11-19-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook