SailNet Community - View Single Post - Propeller Shaft Log
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: Propeller Shaft Log

They did not replace or do anything to the flax or stuffing box when it was out for the cutlass bearing.

a guy in the yard pushed on the propeller shaft and commented "might be loose" but that was it.

I took a look tonight and I'm almost certain its the 27 year old original nuts. All covered with greeb/blue crusty corrosion. Oh yeah, and pouring water. Like a faucet 20% on... Much more than drips..

There's 1 boat yard in my marina so ill walk over there at 730am when the open tomorrow. Get some insight and quotes. See if they want to haul ot out or do it in the water at their dock.

There's no way I could tighten or loosen the nuts. Lack of big enough tools but primarily its all stuck like a rock. The water is coming in the bottom behind the nut and onto the shaft. Between the nut and transmission is where its dripping down from.. Er, uh Leaking down from.

Hopefully some pros can fix it before I head out of town Wed afternoon and I don't have to worry anymore. Bilge pump is turning on once every 30 - 45 minutes for a couple seconds.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook