SailNet Community - View Single Post - this is a little different
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Re: this is a little different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
This Catamaran was built in the 60s in Ocean Falls BC.. entirely a DIY project by a guy up there, he even built his own fittings, fixtures (eg stove) etc along the way. I've forgotten his name, but it was bright green when launched, and did not have that monstrous house, just a semi-circular cabin (still visible amidships) in each hull, and a central wheelhouse on a rigid tramp, with a 'direct drop' outhouse/head in back of the wheel house. Power was from an engine mounted ahead of the wheelhouse, adapted to a retractable extended drive leg.

The wishbone rig was his own adaption too, as far as we knew.

We last saw this about 10 years ago anchored off Fulford Harbour.. sans the house.
So I ran into this guy today, very nice person. I'm building a house and was handed a card with a photo of this boat on the front. It turns out he's my new neighbour so he gave me a little background on it. He flew over it sometime way back when it was in the Frazer River somewhere and decided he needed it. It used to be a weird green colour as you describe. He built the house on the hard on Saltspring Island and attached it once complete. He added a homemade windmill to the centre of the tripod with a 10' wing span which actually worked quite well. He was providing electrical power this way for a while but the vibration would resonate down the rigging/mast and bug the heck out of the dog so he took it off and sold it to a farmer somewhere. It's now used as a housboat type vessel and he's renting it out as a guestboat to someone in the harbour here. The interior is apparently quite nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 11-19-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook