SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012

kotyara is on a distinguished road
re: First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?

Thanks for advice on the rudder guys. I've done a bit or research after I posted and it does seem to be a common problem on Cals. I haven't seen any mention of bushings or bearings, but there were several methods suggested to fix it, from shoving pieces of a plastic coke bottle down the shaft, to epoxy injection, to wrapping the rudder shaft with UHMW tape. All told, it doesn't seem like a huge issue, and I'm glad to see confirmation of that here.

Rubber non-skid seems to be factory-installed, seems to be inset into the deck with small recessed water channels around the pieces. Did these boats really come from the factory like that?

Mast step looked fine, if a little weathered. It looked a lot like an aftermarket piece I've seen advertised on the net, basically a rectangular plate with sides that protruded about 1-1.5" from under the mast, bent upwards a little with holes for fittings in them. I was under impression old factory steps didn't have those fittings, so maybe it is an upgrade... Didn't look like stainless, more like aluminum, but I'm not sure.

The owner said he was moving on to a 35 footer, which I tend to believe, given that he seems to be really getting into racing now.

Survey is set for this Wed., I'll post the results.

Cheers for all the advice!

Alex.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook