SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuiet View Post
I'm not sure we're in the market for a newly built vessel - our budget is more aligned with 10- 20 year old boats.
I'm a novice welder and would like to find something that needs major TLC and new systems so I could put it together before heading out.
Weight and therefore slowness is something I thought might be an issue. We are shopping for something in the 40 to 45 foot range, so maybe the advice PCP gives about aluminium deserves a closer look - where could we find info about the French boats? I always thought aluminum was too expensive.
Center cockpit and aft cabin are also something that appeals to us. Cutter or Ketch both could work. The design of the Stevens 47 or the 44 Kelley Peterson, or even Ted Brewer's Whitby 42 are ones that I've liked. Any of those in steel out there?
Thanks again for all the feedback.
Regarding an aluminum French boasts you can look at the interesting boat thread, there are many information about them including seaworthiness. There is a member that posted there that has a recent OVNI 395? and another one that post recently is waiting for the delivery of a new Boreal 44.

Boréal 44, « Sailing boat of the year 2010 » in France

Alubat, chantier de bateaux en aluminium sur mesures, les sables d’olonne, vendée, constructeur de bateau | Alubat | des bateaux en aluminium à vos mesures

The place to look for a not too expensive aluminium boat is France, specially if it is one from one of the less expensive brands. Many of those had the hulls and masts made professionally and the rest home made. I guess this would be the more interesting for you. Much cheaper used, solid but in need of some work. Good time too to buy in France

As you would have some difficulty in looking in French sites I have made a quick search. There are also some steel boats even if that would not be my option. Some boats will be inevitably repetitions (sometimes the prices are different) and I looked under 200 000 euros, boats with less than 15 years old. Older or more expensive and more recent there are many. These are asking prices. The boats are not selling so I guess you can get a much better price on some if this boats.

An advise: If you can have an OVNI 43 or 435. These are great boats. Probably the Allures 44 is even better but more expensive.

Regards

Paulo

ALUBAT OVNI 435 Voiliers 12 - 14 m d'occasion année 2001
ALUBAT OVNI 385 occasion 2000 - Voiliers 12 - 14 m
ALLURES YACHTING ALLURES 44 Voiliers 12 - 14 m d'occasion année 2005
CHANTIER META LOGIQUE DE MER 40 Voiliers 10 - 12 m année 2002
CHANTIER AMATEUR ALADIN 11.75 Voiliers 10 - 12 m d'occasion année 2004
CAROFF CHATAM EXPRESS 40 Voiliers 10 - 12 m année 2005
Vente ALUBAT OVNI 385 Voiliers 10 - 12 m - 160000 €
http://www.monbateau.com/monbateau-p...ails-annonces-

http://www.annoncebateaux/detail-mon...VNI%20385%20DI

OVNI 385 - Alubat : bateau vendre sur monBateau.com

http://www.monbateau.com/monbateau-p...VNI%20385%20DI

ALUBAT OVNI 385 DI - Ano : 2002 - EYB

ALUBAT OVNI 43 - Ano : 1992 - EYB

ALUBAT OVNI 435 - Ano : 2002 - EYB

OVNI 385 DI occasion - Bateau d'occasion - ALUBAT

OVNI 435 occasion - Bateau d'occasion - ALUBAT

CHATAM 40 Extrême occasion - Voilier d'occasion - CAROFF

Last edited by PCP; 11-20-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook