SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006

snider is on a distinguished road
Smile Liveaboard

[QUOTE=camaraderie]Snider...Good luck to ya! The fact that you made a five year plan at your age and stuck to it bodes VERY WELL for your success! What are you going on and where to? Duration?QUOTE]

Well, I didn't plan on it taking five years, that's just how long it has taken to leave my previous career and go back to school for one that would allow me to travel and have the autonomy to cruise while working. I knew there was very little chance of buying a very inexpensive boat and just going, hoping to find work and pay for the cruise. So I went to school for nursing, where I can take travel assignments for three month contracts with housing paid for, tax free. I'll live on the boat and use the housing stipend plus my hourly wage to triple up on the boat payment and pay it off in three or so years. I figure take three travel assignments a year, leaving three or so months to just cruise, and either work my way from the east coast to California and work there untill the boat is paid for and head West to the south pacific-Australia, or stay on the east coast and sail east round the cape of good hope to Australia for work, then the south pacific and California. I've been looking at boats for about five years also and have pretty much settled on a Pacific Seacraft 34, cutter rig. I'm not married so unless I find a 1st mate in the next two years I'll prob go it alone, taking crew as needed. They are building a tallship, sail training vessel, where I live (Charleston, SC)and I I've thought of doing a four month assignment with them(down to south america), if I can get hired. My plan is flexible. Putting the condo on the market early next year and buying the boat to live on for a year while working to outfit and get the required time and experience needed to travel nurse. It works out great becuase I've been working in an ICU for the last two years and I really enjoy it also, it's great helping people. I graduate in May 07( if I can study and stop drooling over boats), I can almost taste it! I can't wait. Sorry so long, I'm just excited! Snider
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook