SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Sizing - am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Battery Sizing - am I crazy?

Quote:
They do have lots of Ah's but of course it takes two before you can compare those Ah's to a 12V battery. In terms of energy density by weight you can compare two 60lb batteries on Deka's website:

21.35 Wh/lb for the Group 31 (59 lbs, 105ah)
21.32 Wh/lb for the Golf Cart GC10 (60.5 lbs, 215ah)

Basically a rounding error in terms of the difference. I've run the numbers on density by volume and again it comes out the same. So there may be advantages for the GC's but it's not density.
Not sure what this means.

Of course you need two 6- volts to get 12 volt current. The advantage of them is that the footprint for the 2- 6 volt is almost the same as 1 12 volt. So for the same footprint you get twice the ah. NOt sure what density has to do with it. The advantage is more for the SIZE...irrespective of weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook