SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
How are you going to enforce this?...
We are talking about pleasure boats and enforce that don't seem difficult to me. I guess that it would be the same way that here it is enforced a mandatory insurance of the boat (third party): They just ask you the paper everywhere, at the marina, on boat inspections, at random inspections.

I think Casey is talking about any boat that does not sail locally. If you don't sail locally sooner or later you would have to go to a marina for water and diesel, if your boat is not a local one they will ask you the paper boats and insurance. In Europe they ask for that for your licence and sometimes for your radio operator licence. They ask because if they don't ask and the coast guard knows about that the ones that are screwed are they.

If it is not like that in US, I guess that it would have to be like that to enforce the mandatory rescue insurance. I guess the authorities will have not any problem if they want to enforce that.

Note that I don't want nothing of this to happen and it is because I don't want to pay for the ones that are reckless and take stupid risks that I think something has to be made to regulate the pleasure sailing and prevent irresponsible sailors to do very risky stunts, the kind that is making the number of rescues to raise sharply on the last 10 years.

Not a problem here. It is already regulated (on most countries) but I guess that if US goes to a mandatory rescue insurance the measure will come here anyway.

Even if I don't like it a bit, a mandatory rescue insurance will be an effective measure. It will make possible even for the ones that want to go offshore on old boats in bad condition or in inadequate boats to do so but the premium would be so big in that case that would really discourage them do that. For guys with big new boats the premium would be probably very small unless the area to sail was particularly dangerous.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook