SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Complete Overboard Bag - Rate It
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: The Complete Overboard Bag - Rate It

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
I'd toss out 80% of what's in his kit, shave off about 40lbs from it in the process and fit in a couple more PLB/ELB, then spend the extra budget on a good quality life raft and making sure it's in solid shape every year.
I agree with you.

The 80% you'd toss out is worth a lot of money too and that money may be better spent on something that stops the boat sinking in the first place... Like better weather services for offshore passages etc.

How many times have you been told: "you can't afford not to have this! Your life may depend on it"?
I get told that all the damn time by everyone for everything, even the doctor the other day wanted to book me up for a lot of tests that do nothing, show nothing but are EXPENSIVE. And look askance at you when you tell them to shove it!

If I bought everything people tell em is a "Must Have Your Life Depends on it" I would never have been able to afford to start cruising! I would still be at home! Dying an early death of boredom.

Yes, it would be nice to have pillows and a magazine rack in the life raft but if it stops you leaving in the first place?

Mark. Beware those that tell you what you MUST have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook