SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spreader Devil DQ
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Spreader Devil DQ

There is nothing unusual about the mainsail sitting against the spreaders when reaching and running. I typically have sacrificial spreader patches (stick on fabric that resists the chafe that would otherwise damage the sail) on my mainsails at the normal spreader location and a second patch at the spreader location when the sail is reefed.

You need to use the boom vang to reduce twist when reaching and running. Once the wind gets past abeam or the boom is eased much beyond the rail, the traveller tends to be pretty ineffective in controlling twist, so it is important to use the vang efective. For casual cruising I typically raise the mainsail with the vang eased. Once the sail is up I fall off onto a beat. While on the beat I tension the vang moderately tight. That typically is about the right amount of vang for reaching and running.

Put you battens back in. The battens help to distribute the weight of the sail so the sail doesn''t collapse in toward the mast.

That low cringle is for the Cunningham. The Cunningham exerts a vertical pull on the luff and shifts the draft of the sail forward toward the mast. It is best used on a heavy air beat when you are trying to flatten the sail and move the maximum camber far forward.

Good sailing Dude!
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook