SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar YQM15 - hard starting
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar YQM15 - hard starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaido View Post
Is there any harm to spraying a little "Heet" fluid into the air intake of a Yanmar 3GM30F diesel for cold starts? Its taking longer and longer, 20-30 secs of total cranking spread over two attempts to start it in the cool damp winter of the Pacific NW. I am worried about raw water getting sucked into the engine with all this cranking, not to mention the stress on the starter and batteries. However, one quick spritz of HEET into the air intake and the thing starts on first crank (1-2 secs max). Its a miracle drug as far as I can tell. My only concern is , is it bad for the engine in any way to use this spray ?
If Heet is ether, be careful. I used to use ether in my 3-71 Detroit diesel, worked fine. However, I have read that using ether in pre combustion chamber engines can be hazardous to their health. Some years ago I used a very small shot of ether in my VW diesel, which was a pre chamber engine, as my battery was slowly dying in 15 degree below zero weather. It fired right up with no apparent damage, but I am not necessarily recommending you do that.

I have also read about spraying some WD 40 in the intake, maybe not so volatile as ether?

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook