SailNet Community - View Single Post - Second boat suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Second boat suggestions?

Thanks for the feedback, Caleb. Yeah, we thought about the Delaware, and the Chesse, too. One problem we faced with where we sailed this past season is that, at low tide, the bay got VERY shallow. I ran around just outside the marina the day we launched (I stupidly didn't pay enough attention to what time it was, and when low tide occurred). That was the only major time I had any problems, but I learned my lesson! As a result, though, we were somewhat limited in when we could sail. We knew this going in, and it wasn't TOO bad, but we did miss out on a few good weekends.

As I've looked to replace the C25, I'm looking for something that will meet our newly-defined needs. In many cases, that unfortunately means we're likely going to be in the 27-30 range, and it seems like once I get into that range, I'm either stuck with a 4+ foot draft, or compromising and getting a wing or shoal draft (though the wing and shoal are hard to find).

That has meant reassessing where we sail, since we don't have 4' of water under us in most of our bay except for an hour or two on either side of high tide. So, we're back to doing the same discussions we had last season about where to keep her. If next season is like this past season, proximity to Avalon, NJ won't be as big a deal as we had expected, which opens up the Delaware, Barnegat Bay, and Chessapeake Bay as potential options. My concern about the Delaware are the strong tides, lack of wind during the summer, and narrowness of the waterway. On the plus side (and its a strong plus) we'd be a lot closer to home.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook