SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Sizing - am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Battery Sizing - am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
One thing this does not take into account is the cycle life of a 12V flooded battery vs. a 6V flooded battery when put in the same deep cycling application. The 6V batteries will outlast the 12V. I find on average 20-40% more life.
Right and I don't have any numbers to quantify life. And while I've heard people say that GC's last longer I've remained skeptical for three reasons:
1) It's said that because they have less cells the plates are thicker. Fine but you could realize the same benefit by moving to larger 12V batteries. I've never seen/heard evidence of that.
2) The weight numbers I just ran through came out nearly 100% identical energy density by weight for the GC vs the 12V. That suggests, though doesn't prove, identical technology internally. (The volume numbers differed but volume factors in non-functional aspects like case design).
3) The applications are largely the same - why would Deka engineer better cycle life into their GC batteries than their marine batteries.

So do you have any data to point too on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail
You also chose to compare weakest GC2 battery Deka makes at 215Ah/.. They also make that same case size in a 230Ah and 235Ah battery.
Good point. I didn't notice that..If I have a chance I'll change my numbers previously. Obviously that helps the GC a lot in terms of volume. The weight of those larger capacity batteries does go up however.

Last edited by asdf38; 11-20-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook