SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Sizing - am I crazy?
View Single Post
post #29 of Old 11-20-2012
Re: Battery Sizing - am I crazy?

Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
One thing this does not take into account is the cycle life of a 12V flooded battery vs. a 6V flooded battery when put in the same deep cycling application. The 6V batteries will outlast the 12V. I find on average 20-40% more life.
Right and I don't have any numbers to quantify life. And while I've heard people say that GC's last longer I've remained skeptical for three reasons:
1) It's said that because they have less cells the plates are thicker. Fine but you could realize the same benefit by moving to larger 12V batteries. I've never seen/heard evidence of that.
2) The weight numbers I just ran through came out nearly 100% identical energy density by weight for the GC vs the 12V. That suggests, though doesn't prove, identical technology internally. (The volume numbers differed but volume factors in non-functional aspects like case design).
3) The applications are largely the same - why would Deka engineer better cycle life into their GC batteries than their marine batteries.

So do you have any data to point too on this?

Originally Posted by Maine Sail
You also chose to compare weakest GC2 battery Deka makes at 215Ah/.. They also make that same case size in a 230Ah and 235Ah battery.
Good point. I didn't notice that..If I have a chance I'll change my numbers previously. Obviously that helps the GC a lot in terms of volume. The weight of those larger capacity batteries does go up however.

Last edited by asdf38; 11-20-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome