SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Sizing - am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Battery Sizing - am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
I just like to understand things well. And what I'm still missing is what's the downside to the GC's? We've established they have have longer life and more energy per volume...but what are they missing? It's got to be something otherwise these companies are just selling second rate products with "Marine" stamped on them...

They must think thinner plates have some advantage in the marine environment, is it still cranking amps? Are our Duracell Deka deep cycles still designed to provide cranking amps? They are rated for that while the GC's arn't.
The golf cart battery is the most widely sold size of battery if I recall correctly. They're mainly used in forklifts. One downside is that they require twice as many connections and thus have twice as many cables and potential rust points. More places to maintain.

For deep cycle applications they generally ARE considered better by the likes of us. On the other hand, if you want a deep cycle for your 14ft fishing boat's trawling motor, you don't want to disconnect 2 golf carts and lift the two of them out daily as you charge them. The other batteries have their uses and for many the need for deep repeated cycles isn't crucial.

As in your case, where you'd be just fine with any size deep cycle for your house battery and any size deep cycle or starter for your starting bank.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook