SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hardware Store Epoxy?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hardware Store Epoxy?

For this particular case I agree with what Hello said. It's a 1/8" hole afterall.

And to add another product to the mix consider this which I've seen in home depot and hardware stores. JB is well known and it's rated for 4000 PSI for what that's worth:
Amazon.com: jb marine weld Amazon.com: jb marine weld

That said, the wise thing to do is to get something that you'll want to use in the future. I bought marine-tex for the reasons stated - it's white and it's pretty easy (note I think a selling point is it's supposed flexibility) but it's expensive for the volume. Since then I've bought west which leaves my expensive marine tex with little use. Once you have west you'll find plenty of uses for it and it lasts a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Do you have any objective, third-party test results that prove that?

I am not so gullible to accept what a salesman or a manufacturer claims to be true.
In my experience so far I've yet to come across many ways to replace marine grade equipment with non-marine. At the end of the day it's just not worth it when working on boats is so damn time consuming (or expensive).

While sometimes marine stuff seems like a ripoff it's the combination of two things: high quality needed for a difficult environment and, an even bigger factor most of the time, low quantity manufacturing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook