SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Maybe we should revisit the whole cult and brainwashing thing again.
Following and trusting too much yes...cult...no IMHO

Quote:
As I stated earlier, I consider an incident like the RULE 62 tragedy to be a “GPS-enabled” event, no way would that guy have attempted that move 30 years ago- JonEisenburg
I dont agree that this was the reason. I am suprised that you arent consistant in your thinking here and dont blame the Captain of the Rule62 as you did the one on the Bounty fully for not excercising good judgement in staying at sea. Its a huge leap to say that he went there because of a chartplotter. Do you even know if it was functioning? He should have stayed in deep water as there was no danger of his vessels sinking there. He lacked the experience to sail the 1500 in the conditions he was in or he erred in judgement...just like the other Captain. He is to blame for ther death of the passanger....just like the other Captain. He placed the ship in the dangerous position...just like the other Captain. He gave into the pleadings of his crew...bad jusgement again. He would have attempted to go in where he did wether he had a chartplotter or charts.

I certainly agree tha reliance on electronics soley is dangerous and short sighted. But lets face it if used in conjunction with the tried and true navigational aides as well as proper judgement the elctronic instruments can be a great advantage in safety. Electronics can be used to enhance safety and shoulkdnt be dependied upon soley for safety.

If the Captain on the Titanic had radar...chances are the ship wouldnt have hit the iceberg and his route would have been further south as he saw them on his scope/ plotter. How may would be lost without EPIRBs?

Fighting or demeaning the use of electronics keeps you further and further back in the dark ages. Its like fighting the use of computers.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook