SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
What's the deal with black!???

last summer I re-bedded a newfound metals portlight that the previous owner had bought but not finished installing. I used almost 1/2" thick round black butyl rubber that he'd also purchased from them.

I missed a spot and did a craptacular job securing the port so it leaked a little bit.

So I spent an entire day pulling it off the other day. Some of it came off well, some of it pulled paint and primer off the steel, and some of it is fantastically stuck on there in tiny bits I can't ever seem to get off. If I make a ball and roll it it 'sorta' works till my fingers stick together and make and unholy mess.

I tried turpentine and Acetone, neither seem to do much of anything. It's fairly cool/cold now, would it be easier in warmer weather?

Is black always so messy? Is the grey stuff better? (I used some flatter gray stuff I bought at camping world on a different hatch the black is WAY stickier so is the grey stuff inferior?)
There are literally hundreds of formulations & products sold as "butyl tape". The majority of it is simply unsuitable for deck hardware sealing.

Some of the black is very good quality but a lot messier than is necessary. I will no longer use black and I would not sell it either.

I used the NFM black stuff when I did my ports and only wish I had Bed-It Butyl tape back then.. Lots of the grays and off whites are not true butyl tapes such as the stuff often sold at RV stores. Gray is tough to do in a good quality tape, white is next to impossible...I have been trying to get my extruder to make one in white that meets my specs but they simply can't.

The fillers needed to make it off white literally ruin the product. I've tested over 40 tapes and only a hand full are decent quality..

This is the same with polyurethane sealants. There are literally hundreds of products sold that are a polyurethane sealant like 4200, Sikaflex etc. but not all the "formulations" are the same..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook