SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Plants on your boat

9K views 49 replies 28 participants last post by  manatee 
#1 ·
I was just looking at the old Dr do little movie ,and was just wondering does anyone keep plants on their boat ,what kind,and do they keep ,i would think a a herb would be something i would grow,whats your say on it.

#41 ·
Plant hydroponic-gene'd veggies if yer skeer't of "finding earth" w/plants. The upside-don bagged 'maters is a good idea. Let 'em swing from the davits, fer all I care ;) 'Sides.. I never seen 'mater as deco a a funeral! :D

A can see a lime tree growing from the lazerette in my future.....
Scurvey, yanno. Gonna stock up on tonic, too. Fer my malaria...uh huh! ;)

#42 ·
Herbs in a gimbaled or suspended pot in the galley may keep a boat wife happier. An orchid or two suspended under the Bimini also gives her something to think about besides your many faults. Get her a cat too.

Planters are nonsense except on a houseboat. But at least you won't have to fertilize and mow, fertilize and mow, fertilize and... recursion alert! a lawn nor cut the hedges.

#44 ·
An orchid or two suspended under the Bimini also gives her something to think about besides your many faults. Get her a cat too.
LOL.. describes a few months of this past summer well..

This plant survived 55 mph winds, heeling max to 25 degrees, 8-10 foot waves and various thunderstorms and down pours. After about 1000 miles, plant died unceremoniously at home when my wife forgot to water it.

Hanging from the stern seat, dead leaves fell off without messing the boat. Safety strap helped keep it in place.
Bryce

Attachments

#45 ·
Excellent question.. do a search on sailnet about blaming it in the cat.;) They have been known to save or sink ships.

Anything goes wrong on the boat.. blame it on the cat. Cat never complains.
Anything out of place on the boat (left her good scissors on the floor) "Honey.. must have been the cat."

Cat goes everywhere with us.. he kayaks, jetskis, bikes.. Mostly just sits around tending the lines.
Bryce

Attachments

#47 ·
Naturalists allege that Felis Domestica originated in North African arid country. Why then are cats happy aboard sailboats and like to eat fish?

Well there is that old mouse and rat problem aboard vessels, so maybe Moggie saw a renewing food supply, plus new genes for her kittens, at every new port?

#50 ·
First, remember what happened to Captain Bligh when he put all those breadfruit plants aboard the Bounty.

Second, if you must, I offer this:

(1) Remove and do not replace antifouling bottom paint.
(2) Put boat in water.
(3) Wait.
(4) Soon, you may harvest not only some of the most nutritious & tasty vegetables in the world, but also tasty, low-fat protein-filled barnacles.

...of course, you won't be sailing *quite* as fast as you're used to, but if you were in a hurry, you wouldn't be on a boat anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.