SailNet Community - View Single Post - can I afford to continue sailing
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012

cmbrossa is on a distinguished road
Re: can I afford to continue sailing

Here is the #1 Rule of Living: There Will Never Be Enough Money.

I don't care who you are or how much money you have. If you're filthy rich, you'll fret about needing a bigger jet than the rock star next door. There is never enough money.

If you give up your boat it will be easy to fritter away the $110 a month you spend on dock fees. What, exactly, does yuur wife think she needs the $110 for? Is it really important enough for you to give up your boat? It may indeed be, but be sure!

I would start a budget tracking spreadsheet and account for every penny. Every last penny. You can find $110 a month. Some ideas: give up meat. Stop getting the paper. Get a cheaper cell phone or get rid of your land line. Cancel the cable. Ride your bicycle to work every day. No more eating out. Get rid of the 2nd car.

One of the most important things you will teach your children is how to amuse themselves constructively. I have heard it said that addicts are a 1-trick pony, in that they don't know how else to soothe or entertain themselves. How many life skills can you learn from a boat? Navigation & seamanship. Radios. Angling. Repair skills. Self confidence. Camaraderie and teamwork. Camping. Really, you can't have a better family pass time than a boat.

And you have to have your own space. You cannot be attached at the hip to your spouse. You both need to have SOME time on your own and come back with a cheerful attitude and a smile on your faces.

A trailer isn't the answer. You have launch fees, and salt water wrecks the brakes no matter how well you wash them out. For a trailerable size boat, it isn't any cheaper than moorage.

Your heart's in the right place to even be considering giving up your boat. If you do decide it's more trouble than it's worth, you can always take up crewing. That's a lot of fun too. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook