SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hardware Store Epoxy?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Hardware Store Epoxy?

I've used well over a dozen different brands of epoxy from hardware store dual syringe packs to West to no-name industrial stuff. I've used every kind of mix from 1 to 1 up to 6 to 1. I've also used just about every kind of thickener, colourant etc. etc.

The only difference I have found in any of the epoxies is the tailoring of their curing qualities - faster, slower, cold weather, wet conditions, laminating etc.

I have never found any difference in their bonding ability or strength if they are used in the correct context - like not using regular laminating resin in wet or cold conditions. No difference in "quality" as it were.

People in the industry have told me that the base resins come from only a handful of refiners - everybody gets their base stock from those few suppliers and then customizes them with their own additive mix for the specialized service conditions I mentioned.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook