SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Re: Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions

JudyM,

My wife and I own Enchantress, one of the original Morgan-built 45s before Morgan sold the moulds to S&J so it's basically the same boat you are looking at. We bought her in the Cariibbean six years ago and sailed her back to the Chesapeake.
The basic boat, hull and standing rigging was in very good shape, the sails were tired but usable. The engine was a Volvo turbo diesel with the turbine frozen but this was replaced by the seller. It had a starter battery and a couple of big house batteries (all wet cells) nearing the end of their useful life.
The Morgan and S&J hull was designed to the CCA rule which penalized waterline length. To get around this, the boat was designed to sail at about 20-degree angle of heel for maximum speed. It performs best in 10-20kt winds and we've had her up to just on 12 kts SOG in an 18kt wind. It can be disconcerting for people who are not use to it and it can be a wet ride but we find it exhilarating.
These are the type oif things we did immediately (the winter after we got her back to the bay):
1) the best thing you could say about the 12-volt system was 'creative'. The winter after I got the boat back to the bay, Iripped it all out and rewired to code. Same with with the shore power system. All replaced the batteries with glass mat batteries a 12-volt for the starter and six 6-volt for the house.
2) at my wife's insistence (I won't set foot on the boat again unless you do this) I replaced the leaky manual head with a Vacuflush.
3) replaced the entire fresh water system inclusing the sinks, faucet and shower and added seagull filters. Got new sinks and faucets from Home Depot after pricing marine replacements.
4) got a new jib (well semi-new) from Bacons sails in Annapolis. The main is still hanging in there til we get money to replace it.
5) Enchantress came with parquet flooring which was coming apart. I had a new floor put in.
6) New cushions for the main salon. The forward and quarter berths came with really good mattresses.
We found that Enchantress we severely underwinched (is this a word?) so eventual;ly we replaced the Barlow27 ST primaries with Lewmar 55s.
There have been other upgrades along the way inclduing LED lighting inside and out, a new dodger and bimini, a new dinghy motor, new fans, a color GPS and a hand-held radio.
The other instruments and radios all work fine.
From what I've heard, the S&J hulls were sold in various stages of completion, so you need to make sure that all the work was done properly. And, as in all older boats, very much depends on how well they were maintained. I I would advise that you have the boat inspected by a really good marine surveyor to make sure you know what you're getting into.
We've found Enchantress to be really confortable and a joy to sail and would recommend her -- so long as you don't mind sailing heeled over and so long as there are no major gotchas.
Azi